Birthday Thoughts, Upcoming Half Mary, ETC

So, today is (the anniversary of) my 25th birthday. I woke up about 6am with a bad asthma attack.  My chest was full of gunk because I am coming down with my first cold since March.  Now, you might call me crazy, but I’m really grateful, because it just reminds me that I almost never get sick anymore.  It’s so odd to not be ill when I’ve been that way every 3-6 weeks for years!

Truthfully, my birthday is bittersweet anyway, because it signals the end of a month-long celebration my friends and I call the International Month of Fabulousness (IMOF). (Everyone knows that only Fabulous People were born during November!  DUH!) Now the Christmas and New Year’s seasons loom ahead of me, and this year (again) I may not have the chance to see my parents.  (Although this isn’t the end of things; I have a plan in the works.)

So my thought today was kind of like . . . I feel like crap on my birthday . . .  EVEN SO, it’s a great day.

I race on Saturday, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I feel better fast.  This year, I’ve scored PRs at every single distance – no reason to think this weekend’s half marathon won’t be the same, as long as I rest for the first few days this week.

Then this e-mail came from a coworker who sends out the best inspirational e-mails daily.  I thought it was fitting.


Monday, November 29, 2010
Even so
Some days it may seem that your actions are not very effective.
Even so, the best thing you can do is to keep doing all you can.
Sometimes it may feel that although you care deeply about the world,
the world does not care much about you.
Even so, it is much better that you continue to care.

There will be times when you give all you have,
and end up with nothing to show for it.
Keep giving though, for the rewards are surely there,
even if they are too profound for you to see just yet.
The disappointments may sometimes be so painful that you feel like giving up.
Remember though, it is your caring that makes the disappointment possible,
and that very same caring will pull you up and push you forward.
Though you may be reluctant to admit it,
you can make any situation into a
valuable, successful experience.

You can live with love,
joy and fulfillment even
when everything seems
to be pushing against you.
The circumstances of this moment
may not feel particularly desirable.

Even so, there is a beautiful
treasure that's yours to give,
and yours to live in this very place,
on this very day.
-- Ralph Marston

You can live with love, joy and fulfillment even
when everything seems to be pushing against you.

0 tidbits of wizdom: